History of Hospitality

 

 

The Hartness House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was built in the early 1900s by James Hartness. The Hartness Family hosted many guests in their years at their home. Today, the property boasts 40 guest rooms, located in the main house and annex, and 35 acres of gorgeous, wooded Vermont property. 

 The Hartness House is small enough for an intimate Bed & Breakfast vacation, yet large enough to host weddings and other events. We are just minutes away from I-91 and are conveniently located near shopping, skiing, and hiking trails. Whatever the reason for your visit, we look forward to hosting you!

     

The Hartness House Inn was built by James and Lena Hartness in 1904. During their time in the home, they hosted many influential guests (including Charles Lindbergh!). After their passing, the property was purchased by three local machine tool companies who continued to host their guests at the home.

 

     In 1954, the first addition and Victorian Ballroom were added to the home to house more guests and create the Hartness House Inn. In 1968, the Governor's Room was built, adding a restaurant to the property. In 1971 the final addition was added to the Inn, which included 24 guests rooms. The Hartness House was then put on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2004, the Hartness House celebrated its Centennial Anniversary!

     Nine years later, the Inn was purchased by passionate owners who were ready to invest in needed renovations and updates. Work began on the building's infrastructure and the rooms in the wings. Next, the Governors Room underwent a total renovation, creating The Tavern for guests and the local community.

 

Over the past year, the Hartness House has seen return guests and many new faces. 

We are honored to continue tradition and be a part of a history of hospitality.

30 Orchard Street Springfield Vermont 05156 |  1-802-885-2115

  • Trip Advisor App Icon
  • Facebook Basic Black
  • Black Instagram Icon